As burgeoning research advances the field of neuroscience, instructors face the formidable challenge of imparting this ever-increasing and heterogenous body of information to students. Essential Neuroscience, Second Edition is the coherent, balanced solution.
Rated outstanding with highest 5-star ranking in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
This highly acclaimed second edition covers fundamental neuroscience topics, integrating essential information with clinical and physiological considerations, providing students with multiple opportunities for review and self-testing, and presenting the latest relevant developments in neuroscience.
Proven building-block approach preferred by faculty and students alike.
Beginning with the building block of neuroscience, the neuron, the text unfolds the story of human brain function. From analysis of a single neuron, the authors enlarge the discussion to neuronal communication; guide us through the essentials of spinal cord and brain anatomy; detail the sensory, motor, and integrative systems; and finally illustrate the most complex functions and dysfunctions of the nervous system. This stepwise, basic-to-complex approach is the synthesis of 30 years of teaching experience and improves student performance on exams.
- Enhanced topics throughout
- Integration of material where sequentially and functionally relevant
- More than 50 revised and 8 all-new illustrations
- Chapter Summary Tables
- Expanded Glossary
- In-depth study of selected topics to accommodate dental students
INSIDE YOU’LL FIND:
- Six sections organize chapters into cohesive blocks of information.
- Learning Objectives launch each chapter by focusing students on key chapter information.
- Updated, full-color art program abounds with more than 400 illustrations and neuroimaging that reflect appropriate detail and complement the text.
- Tables and outlines organize chapter material in high-yield format for effective student review.
- Concise yet comprehensive presentation of material ensures that students learn what they need to know without bogging them down with excess information.
- Balanced integration of anatomy, biology, physiology, and chemistry gives students a well-rounded understanding of neuroscience.
- In-depth coverage of topics frequently tested on the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE)including structure, function, and deficits of individual cranial nerves; vascular syndromes of the brainstem; and behavioral disordersgives students an edge in test prep.
- Latest developments in neuroscience keep students at the front of discovery.
- Clinical Cases provide the clinical application of chapter concepts.
- USMLE-style and course review-style questions test retention of key concepts in each chapter and help students prepare for course and board examinations.
- Comprehensive Glossary defines key terms and concepts bolded throughout the text.
- Online access via thePoint to the fully searchable text (including images), an image bank for faculty with labels on/off, interactive Q&A, and more.